Wednesday, June 23, 2010

We're Off

Welcome to my attempt at keeping a blog of my week in Bali. This has been inspired by my friend Kate who went to Europe for 6 weeks and kept one of the most entertaining blogs that you would ever be lucky enough to read. I hope i can be as insightful as her, but i highly doubt it....

The story starts with my friend Anna McDonnell. About 4 months ago she decided to celebrate her 30th birthday in Bali. She convinced me it would be an adventure and i should definitely come and join in the fun, so here i am. It is also a great opportunity to come and stay at a hotel called The Island Bali, which is owned by my good friend Kurt. The Island is a small boutique hotel in Legian, and along with Anna, Kurt and his wife Leah, and a small, but vocal group of Annas' friends from Melbourne, we are here!

Anna and i left Byron Bay at 7.30 yesterday morning, dove to Brisbane, and boarded a plane for Denpasar via Darwin. When we arrived at the airport i was told my surfboard was too large to go in the containers! Fail. Part of the reason for my trip was to get my non existent surfing skills to a passable level, also travelling to Bali with a surfboard under my arm held some "cool" appeal! Shot down in flames...We Had a 4 hour stopover in Darwin, so we decided to go into the town and grab lunch, a couple of beers, a pizza, then head back to the airport for the final 2 1/2 hours of our journey.


We got through Bali customs pretty smoothly, but i can't help thinking about the Australians who didn't have it so easy. Its definitely an intimidating experience, even if you have nothing to declare!
We were picked up at the airport by our driver Robbie. A very cool, heavily tattooed Balinese guy, who is also learning to tattoo. He delivers us to The Island Hotel, and this place is awesome. Anna and i head to our respective rooms to unpack and get changed, then its back down to the bar for our first Bintangs with our host Nev.


After 4 or 5 beers Anna gets a call from her two friends Pip & Jane.....they are at Hu'u bar....we go meet them.... Pip & Jane are with 3 Kiwi friends of theirs and after 3 Long Island Ice Teas and a Margarita, i am getting into the spirit of the All Whites, and practicing my now vastly improved New Zealand accent!


We pour ourselves into a Taxi at 2am and head back to the hotel. By this time it's been a long day and i decided to retire to my room and get some much needed sleep. I can hear Anna and Jane hitting on some poor unsuspecting Mexican tourist.....great start to the holiday. I will try to post my adventures every morning, so if you're interested, check it out, if not, don't!
P

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!!! As it pours with rain and the temperature drops here in Bangalow I look forward to partaking in your island holiday. Wish I was there, but this is the next best thing.

    Have a great time, be safe and be sure to write!
    I can't wait for the next instalment!

    xoxox kate

    p.s. I love the look - beats my black and white attempt hands down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to see the yoga master meditating...

    Thombstone...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pat for making it possible for Peter, James, Jed, Alice and me to enjoy Anna's birthday trip to Bali with all her friends. It's the next best thing to being there.

    Have a wonderful holiday!
    Marg McDonnell

    ReplyDelete